Wednesday, October 8, 2008

THE BLISTERS (SLEEPERS E.P.)

The Blisters are one of the longest-lived and least-appreciated pop-punk outfits to ever come out of New Jersey. Beginning in 1987 with a string of singles and compilation cuts, the group established itself as a favorite in the Garden State's punk-rock underground by seamlessly blending Ramones-influenced three-chord rock'n'roll with Replacements-ish garage-punk. I really like that boy better scram. But hey, judge for yourself.
.
1. SLEEPERS
2. H2M
3. I CALL YOU
4. THAT BOY BETTER SCRAM
.
SILENT THUNDER RECORDS 1988
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great single from a great band! I still have a tape of their live set on Pat Duncan's hardcore show on WFMU, and their cover of the Replacements's God Damn Job has been worn down to bare plastic. Used to go to the guitar player's record store in Elizabeth (I think...) often looking for good punk.

Frank Miller said...

I never knew the guitar player had a record store. shame I missed it. But I think remember hearing that one of the band memebers used to sell records or tapes at the Englishtown flee market. Or maybe it was Rice's . I used to listen to the Pat Duncan show on my way home from work. I could never pick it up where I live. I would like to here that live set. Great comment
Thanks
Frank

Greazy Tony said...

After his store closed, Dennis did the NJ record show circuit for a while. I use to buy some great stuff off of him! He's now in the band Zed Never, fronted by Artist/Kook Dave Lancet. Check them out!!

Frank Miller said...

Thanks for the comment Greazy Tony. I'll have to check zed never out .

WHEELZ said...

Yes, Dennis had tables at both
Englishtown, N.J. and Rice's Market, Lahaska, Pa.. He also was the promoter that brought soooo many great bands into The Court Tavern, New Brunswick, N.J.; many of which are mentioned in this site. The first and only time that I saw The Blisters was at Oliver J's, Allentown, Pa. They were opening for Agent Orange. Sure enough, Dennis was selling records there also. They were super friendly and a good live band.