Saturday, July 18, 2009

THE AMBER SQUAD (CAN WE GO DANCING? SINGLE)

Here we have the second single from The Amber Squad on the great Dead Good Records label. There's a disc that I think you can still get from Detour Records, I have to admit I haven't purchased it yet but I'm sure it's worth owning. Ive never heard a bad song from these guy's. If for some reason you have been under a rock for the last 17 years or maybe this stuff is new to you? I highly recommend checking out the Detour records/Bored Teenagers web site. I don't think anyone does a better job of re releasing and covering the late 70's early 80's British Mod/Punk scene. Go check out their website, there's tons of great records and disks to buy, and it's a wealth of info as well. I copied this info from the Bored Teenagers Website. I'll put links at the bottom of the post. Early 1980 and something is stirring in Rutland, England’s smallest county. The amalgamation of two schoolboy rock bands named "Reflex" and "Blueprint" spawned the "Amber Squad", purveyors of a hybrid mix of Pub Rock, Power Pop, Ska and Punk Rock. After gaining a reputation on the East Midlands’ music pub circuit for loud, energetic sets consisting of self-penned outpourings of teenage angst combined with R&B classics, the Amber Squad made a determined push for stardom with a number of independent recordings backed up with live performances in more recognised venues in London, Birmingham and other major UK cities. At the bands’ heyday, they were on the Radio 1 play list, and featured on the John Peel show, as well as Mike Read’s Round Table. They went on to release two singles (featured above), the first being "(I can't) put my finger on you" and backed with " Tell you a lie". This debut single was released on the "S & T" label (aka "Sound of Leicester") in 1980. Next up, they swapped labels to a Lincoln based label called 'Dead Good' Records. The new single was called "Can we go dancing?" backed with "You should see (What I do to you in my dreams). Then the following year they also appeared on the "S & T's" own compilation LP 'Where the Hell is Leicester?" with an unreleased track called 'Six of me'. However the world failed to recognise their latent talent, and reality hit home in the form of regular jobs, mortgages and steady relationships.
.
REFERENCES - BORED TEENAGERS http://www.detour-records.co.uk/
.
DEAD GOOD RECORDS 1980
.
1. CAN WE GO DANCING?
2. YOU SHOULD SEE WHAT I DO TO YOU IN MY DREAMS
.
***DOWNLOAD***

No comments: