Wednesday, October 28, 2009

DEAD KENNEDYS (HALLOWEEN SINGLE)

Happy Halloween, I'm going to post 9 singles in Honor of my favorite holiday. A couple of them really don't directly relate but I feel they capture the spirit. First up is the one of my all time favorite bands. I remember I bought this single when it first came out at the mall,(yes the mall) I believe I was 11 or 12 years old. I really played the shit out of it. My favorite song was the flip side but the A side deals with the theme so I thought this would be a perfect time to post it. If your interested in information on the Kennedys check out my previous post on them Enjoy!! Halloween" (B-side "Saturday Night Holocaust") is the seventh and final single by the Dead Kennedys. It was released in December of 1982 on Alternative Tentacles. The lyrics use the metaphor of a Halloween party to address the theme of human responses to nonconformity.The song is from the band's second album, Plastic Surgery Disasters.
"Saturday Night Holocaust" is a song comparing drug-filled disco culture in the 70's and early 80's to cabaret culture in Nazi Germany, namely in the case of the apathy towards the governments actions. It ends with a modern version of the Nazi's persecution of the cabaret, and can in some ways be seen as a sort of companion to "California Über Alles" ("a Hitler youth in a jogging suit smiling face branded round his arm" can be seen as a re-appearance of the hippie-nazis of the aforementioned song).
.
REFERENCES - WIKIPEDIA
.
ALTERNATIVE TENTACLES RECORDS 1982
.
1. HALLOWEEN !
2. SATURDAY NIGHT HOLOCAUST
.
***DOWNLOAD***

1 comment:

Salmagundi Syncopation said...

Oh hell yes! Thanks for this so much! I've got a music blog
http://salmagundisyncopation.blogspot.com/
and will add your blog to my list - and make a post pointing people to this great DKS 7 inch.

^'^ ^'^ ^'^
^'^ ^'^