Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Braille Party (Welcome To Maryland)

a repost, by request, originally posted 11/30/09, new rips and scans, enjoy!
a repost, by request, originally posted 11/18/09, new rips and scans, enjoy!


Read more: http://shotgunsolution.blogspot.com/#ixzz46PWSm4ar
a repost, by request, originally posted 11/18/09, new rips and scans, enjoy!


Read more: http://shotgunsolution.blogspot.com/#ixzz46PWSm4ar
The Braille Party was a Maryland three piece that left us with this lp and a couple of compilation tracks. Musically this record is all over the place. It ranges from dreamy pop, to blazing fast hardcore. Overall it's somewhat strange but, there are some really memorable songs that grow on you with every listen. My favorite has always been, Who's Patronizing Who. The great lyrics, swirling almost TSOL like guitars, and short bursts of speed, made(for me anyway) this an instant DC classic. I spent quite a while trying to separate these tracks. If it's not perfect I apologize.

Line Up -

Matt Riedl - Vocals, Bass
Lou Gigger - Guitar
Gerry Rolfe - Drums, Vocals

Fountain Of Youth Records 1984

♫♫♫...Home Of The Masquerade...♫♫♫

7 comments:

d. said...

track 1 seems to be broken

Frank Miller said...

Try it now, I reuploaded it.

Anonymous said...

Hello Frank,

Is there any way you could re-post this?? Been looking for this forever.

Frank Miller said...

Sorry it's taken so long but I'll be reposting it shortly.

lil m said...

Thanx...saw these guys as a teen, just heard one of the band members died in an accident years back...interested to revisit

Zyg said...

Lil m -- Lou was walking off the shoulder of the I-495 Beltway to get assistance with his car and was flattened by a tired drunk. It's been a long time but I think this was shortly after a show at the Back Alley in DC, where Matt and I had talked about me possibly joining so he could just sing & front.


I'd known Lou for a couple of years before that. We worked together on some building sites for my friend's construction company, mainly painting.


If you were at the Back Alley show that night you may have seen and heard me playing briefly. During an intermission Matt showed me his new Steinberger bass and told me go ahead and try it if I wanted. I didn't even think about what was happening when I absent-mindedly started plucking out Truer Words.. until I heard the drums kick in. I stopped before Lou was strapped up and my date (Hi, Chris!) made sure my attention was properly refocused afterwards.


I miss Lou. Back in contact with Matt briefly at the beginning of the 2000s, I soon lost touch with him again. The E-Mail address still works, Matt.


Not drunk, just nostalgic. Even shuffling more than 500GB of music, Braille Party was going to come up sooner or later.

Frank Miller said...

Hi Zyg,

Such a shame. So many snuffed out way too soon. Thanks for sharing.